History (KS3, GCSE AQA, GCSE Edexcel, GCSE OCR and IGCSE)
Philosophy (GCSE AQA, GCSE Edexcel, GCSE OCR, IGCSE, A Level AQA, A Level Edexcel, A Level OCR, Pre-U, IB Standard Level, IB Higher Level, IB MYP, Advanced Placement and Undergraduate)
Politics (GCSE AQA, GCSE Edexcel, GCSE OCR, IGCSE, A Level AQA, A Level Edexcel, A Level OCR, Pre-U, IB Standard Level, IB Higher Level, IB MYP, Advanced Placement and Undergraduate)
RE (GCSE AQA, GCSE Edexcel, GCSE OCR, IGCSE, A Level AQA, A Level Edexcel, A Level OCR, Pre-U, IB Standard Level, IB MYP, Advanced Placement and Undergraduate)
Sociology (GCSE AQA, GCSE Edexcel, GCSE OCR, IGCSE, A Level AQA, A Level Edexcel, A Level OCR, Pre-U, IB Standard Level, IB Higher Level, Advanced Placement and Undergraduate)
Theory of Knowledge
Andrew has worked with children aiming to attend the following schools:
Have helped a student with entrance to D'Overbroek's school in Oxford as well as Cambridge Uni applications and two successful Harrow Scholarship entries.
Hi, my name is Andrew and I’m a fully qualified experienced senior practicing teacher with 14 years experience in teaching, and 10 years experience as a tutor. I’ve been an examiner since 2009 and worked for Ofqual as a subject expert for a number of years.
My broad experience in life, teaching and examining allows me to quickly identify where students need the most assistance, helping them to build the skills, knowledge and confidence they need to succeed.
I strive to be approachable and reassuring in order to create an atmosphere where my students feel comfortable sharing their challenges, and ENSURING they know I’m there to help.
My specialism is offering subject knowledge enhancement and exam skills including more focused tutoring for those crucial moments like exams, assessments and coursework however I also offer long-term, general tutoring for students who need broader support throughout the school year.
Helping students gain a better understanding and connection to their subject is very rewarding and I’m proud that my tutees report a 2-grade improvement on average with 80% achieving an A* or the grade they were looking for.
Here are a few key facts about me:
- current 6th Form school teacher (PT);
- specialise in teaching & learning and exam & study skills, essay marking service and quality assurance, course revision, SEN specialist;
- specialise in common student problems such as: feeling lost / confusion; loss of enthusiasm; difficulties with understanding concepts; challenges with existing teacher; issues writing essays; problems with exams; wanting to get an edge / improve / excellence;
- I provide added value and am proactive e.g. I have an open door communication policy, I am always thinking about how I can help further and I send extra curriculum material after most sessions to consolidate and expand your learning as necessary;
- home schooling and private candidate support.
If you’d like further information to find out more about me and what I can do for you, please don’t hesitate to get in touch. I am happy to talk you through my experience and methods in more detail and can provide a full CV, references as well as copies of my DBS certificate or other accreditation.
I look forward to working with you,
A-level, Pre-U, IB, International A-level (KS5)
GCSE, iGCSE (KS4)
Special Educational Needs and Home schooling
Other needs considered
- Over 20,000 hours teaching, tutoring and examiner experience in both private and state education
- Assisted over 10,000 students during 14 years of teaching and tutoring
- Member of The Tutors Association, fully qualified, practicing teacher with a PGCE and QTS, hold BA (Hons) and MA (Econ) in the subject I teach (Sussex and Manchester Universities)
- Trained to teach in Institute of Education (UCL)
- Went to Highgate School for Boys, Teacher Training done in QE boys (Regularly Top of League Tables and Consistently rated Outstanding by Ofsted), regularly help pupils at Eton, Cheltenham Ladies and many more top schools and taught at best IB school in the world (ANI)
- A-level, AS level, International A-level (GCE) (AQA, OCR, Edexcel, Eduqas (WJEC), Cambridge)
- GCSE, iGCSE (AQA, OCR, Edexcel, Eduqas (WJEC), Cambridge)
- IB (International Baccalaureate) (Trained at ANI, rated Best IB school in the World)
- Pre-U (Cambridge)
- Experience with Common Entrance (CE, ISEB) exam including Harrow scholarship with my most recent candidate getting the highest mark in History and second highest in Philosophy and Ethics
- Previously Education chairman for Highgate School Old Cholmelians Education Committee
- Worked with Select Committee for Special Education Needs, was Research Assistant to Estelle Morris MP (Secretary of State for Education) and helped develop SEN Code of Practice
- Worked for Holocaust Education Trust in House of Lords
- Helped create piece on The World Tonight (BBC Radio 4) about unfairness of exam cancellation arrangements 2020
- UK and International teaching experience
- Initiated reform of New Zealand Foreign Teacher Registration process
- Author of the successful book “How to Write Any Essay and Get a Top Mark”
- Philosophy for Children trained continually take part on Continuing Professional Development (e.g. Safeguarding, Pedagogy, Subject knowledge and Assessment training)
- Worked in Private and Public sector prior to beginning teaching career up to management level
Tutoring Approach and availability:
After you purchase my details, and book the session using my link, we will work out a plan of action and a regular session time in the first session. You will receive regular updates on how the student is doing. We will focus on knowledge acquisition, other support and what to do with all this knowledge, i.e. how to write excellent essays or answer questions or whatever your situation requires.
Here’s what I can help you with:
- Teach you the course and help with essays and exams
- Support with questions and emergencies including educational consultancy
- Send extra information about the course from an extensive database of resources gathered over the years and that contains enough help to get you an A* on any of the subjects I teach, this includes a collection of essays from over 14 years of teaching to refer to and use
- Use of the best technology (AV equipment, Ultrafast wired Broadband, Online Whiteboard and other enhancements)
- Produce a report about the student’s progress regularly and advise on further actions
I can also help you with:
• Course knowledge, comprehension, revision, full teaching or catch-up
• Essay advice, structuring, feedback/marking, editing and improving
• Exam preparation and success
• Theory of Knowledge
• Extended essay writing
• TOK Presentation
• Career advice, work experience support, interview practice
• Undergraduate PHD and essay structure help and edit
• Support throughout university
• Masters PHD dissertation support
• Providing education consulting, SEN advice and support in disputes with school / university
• Other needs catered to, just ask!
I have been tutoring online since 2016 and it has always proven to be extremely effective. I’m happy to now offer all my classes online which allows you to get the most out of our lessons, I am able to devote the time I would be travelling to and from you to provide a better service. I use the best technology (e.g. up to date HD Audio Visual equipment, ultrafast wired broadband, online whiteboard, screen sharing, a document camera and other enhancements) and I provide an exceptional learning experience that cannot be matched by face to face tuition.
I’m available online for your convenience from Monday to Friday and on weekends (during peak times) from 9AM to 7PM. Please note I am unavailable during the following periods: 1st-7th November, 20th December-2nd January, 1st-7th March, 1st-7th May and 1st July-31st August.
I use Calendly for my bookings; once you have acquired my contact details, all you need to do is send me an email or text and I will send you the link to book and we will go from there.
Are you a qualified teacher and for how long have you been tutoring?
Yes, I’m a fully qualified experienced senior practicing teacher with 14 years experience in teaching, and 10 years experience as a tutor. I’ve been an examiner since 2009 and worked for Ofqual as an assessment expert for a number of years.
What exam boards do you work with?
I work with all the major exam boards in the UK including AQA, OCR, Edexcel, Eduqas/WJEC, Cambridge Assessment and IB.
How to Book?
I use a specialized booking software which makes bookings extremely easy and convenient. Simply use one the booking buttons on the website and you’ll be taken to my booking page.
I don’t feel comfortable with studying online. Will it work?
I have been working online long before the COVID epidemic, and it has always been proving to be much more efficient than face-to-face tutoring. I have never had any complaints and in fact many clients I work with have switched to online because of the current circumstances for good, and are very happy about it. All that the student will need is a laptop with Internet connection and the rest of their usual studying routine such as notebooks, textbooks, etc.
How is online tutoring different from face-to-face tutoring?
It’s not very different at all. The only differences actually show advantages of online tutoring. I use whiteboard which I have set up in my working space, so the class resembles the classroom experience quite a lot.
I am also able to share my screen which allows me to:
- Work on the essays together with the student in real time
- Quickly share videos, articles, essays and other studying resources in real time
- Use books and textbooks from my home library that I can’t carry to face-to-face meetings
And many more. I use a full state-of-the-art equipment set-up for the best online tutoring experience which makes my online lessons much more efficient and informative than classic tutoring.
My child has SEN. Can you help?
I work a lot with children with SEN and being dyslexic myself, I fully understand the importance of breaking down complex topics into a simple digestible form that everyone will understand. I very often get students who are overwhelmed with the complexity of the course or are completely lost when it comes to exam preparation. I find it incredibly rewarding seeing students finally “getting” the subject and getting a clear understanding what they need to do to get a good mark on their exam.
I need help with writing an essay but it’s not Politics, RE or Philosophy, can you still help?
Essay structure is pretty much the same regardless of the subject. So whether it’s one of the subjects I teach or any other humanities subject, I have a great track record in helping students to learn how to write the perfect essays. I wrote a book about writing essays with all the tips and tricks you need to know to master this skill, you can find the link to get it in the “My Essay Book” tab.
Andrew qualified to teach Religious Education in 2009, and holds a PGCE in RE from The Institute of Education.
|University Name||Name of degree||Year of graduation|
|The University of Manchester||MA (Econ) in Political Science||2003|
|The University of Sussex||BA (Hons) Politics||2001|
Andrew worked for a year as a specialist technology teacher at Auckland Normal Intermediate, one of the most respected IB schools in the world. He has worked with a number of IB students at all levels, projects included. His last IB Philosophy student got a 6 out of 7.
"Andrew provided outstanding Politics A Level tutoring to 2 students at our Sixth Form. He went above and beyond the contact hours of his role and would maintain strong contact with students and parents to ensure that they were kept on track. He really cares about his students. Andrew has fantastic subject knowledge and both students remained engaged for long periods of time due to Andrews approach and skills. These two students have previously found engagement difficult."
Monday, 21st June 2021
School representative for 2 Politics A-Level students
We collect references for all of our tutors when they join. Not all referees agree to have their reference publically listed, but when they do we show them here.
Andrew is an excellent teacher and tutor, I've seen him going the extra mile to build rapport with students countless times while still remaining strict and professional, which invariably made a strong impression on students.. He is diligent and dedicated, but is also a creative and quick problem solver, and the way he treats students is empowering and inspiring. I couldn't recommend him more.
Wednesday, 13th March 2019
Andrew is available for online tuition to students anywhere in the world. Find out more about online tuition.
Andrew, like all of our tutors, is a qualified teacher and has been interviewed by us personally. All of our tutors have at least two years of classroom teaching experience and come with fantastic references and criminal records checks.